Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On Space to f2f in Online Classes

Yesterday I realized a unique benefit of teaching an online class at a brick-and-mortar institution: my students and I share the same physical space and can, should we choose, interact in person. I knew this, of course, and my class acknowledges this by allowing students to complete their essay conferences via Google Docs, Blackboard Collaborate (Skype-ish platform), or in my office. When I was setting up my office hours, I vacillated back and forth between offering f2f or virtual hours--or a combination of the two. Ultimately, I decided that, because students can see me in my office for their conferences if they choose to do so, I would offer f2f Office hours by appointment only, and do the regularly-scheduled hours via Collaborate.

As a last-minute thought, I decided to add something to my schedule that I call "out-of-office hours."  Mainly this was a way to justify my weekly hour on the campus track walking with a friend in my department office. (It isn't really recreation time if it's on my syllabus, right?) So, in addition to my f2f and Virtual office hours schedule, I listed Tuesday from 12-1 as an out-of-office hour, identifying the location as Redwood Bowl track.

Truthfully, I had no expectation that students would "drop in" to this scheduled time--especially during the first week of classes when no one comes to office hours. Imagine my surprise, then, when Teri and I were passing the stands after our first lap around the track and a young man called to us, "I'm looking for my English teacher. Is this the right place?" Since I had not mentioned my out-of-office hour to Teri, she was bewildered, but I stepped over, introduced myself, and asked him to join us. Jordan told me that he was the "type of guy who likes to see people face to face so I know who I'm really talking to when I'm online."

In the course of 2-3 laps, I first found out where Jordan is from and that he is a freshman living in the residence halls. He then switched the topic of conversation to course content, asking about some assignments and telling me what he had already done thus far. He talked enthusiastically about the article he had found to add to our collaborative research collection, explaining what it was about and how he thought it was important. (Remember, this is the second day of the semester!) Once I had finished addressing his course questions, we continued to walk and talk (a benefit of the fact that we had to complete the current lap in order for him to leave). During this time, I learned more personal information about Jordan, including his family situation at home, his goals as a student, his decision to come to HSU, and more. During this part of the conversation, I realized that talking while walking allowed for personal contact, but was like conversations held in cars--some safety is involved because eye contact is limited by the circumstance.

After Jordan took off, I rejoined Teri and we resumed our walk. I had to stay later than usual to get my four miles in, since Jordan and I had strolled at a more leisurely pace than usual, but it was well worth the time. Indeed, the experience elated and invigorated me. In a semester with only three online and no f2f classes, it was my first real interaction with a student, and one initiated by the student himself. Of course, I can't tell if this is typical, but I'm thankful to Jordan for stopping by, and I'm adding my Wednesday afternoon walk with another colleague to the list of my available times. This won't be an option in the Spring class I teach for CalState Online, as those students won't be on campus, but as long as I'm teaching online (and even f2f) classes at HSU, I think I'll keep up the practice of out-of-office hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment