Monday, August 26, 2013

On Creating Student Groups

From my 8/26 Facebook status update:
"To allow for both small and large groups for activities and discussion, I'm having students join static teams with color labels--which I can then mix together to form larger groups. Thus far, in order of popularity: green, purple, yellow, red, blue/orange (tie)"

In response to a comment by a colleague, asking for more details:
"On Moodle, we have a Choices module, which allows me to set up a radio-button choice resource. I simply created six color teams and limited them to 10 students each (my Moodle site combines three online sections). In larger discussions (analysis/discussion of readings, etc.), I'll combine two color teams, for a total of 20 participants. For smaller activities (response groups, etc.), I'll divide each color team in half, for five-person groups. When posting the discussion forums, I'll simply label them by colors (or in the case of split colors, the color and first names of the participants in that group). Will it work? Who knows? But, that's pretty much the way everything will operate this semester."

No comments:

Post a Comment